About Us: Our Story
BHW is a full-service commercial real estate firm that specializes in investment strategies through operating expertise and institutionally-tested diligence and underwriting.
The firm's founders, Martin Bronstein and Ralph Howard, began investing in commercial real estate in Houston in the mid-1970s and founded The Situs Companies in the mid-1980s. Houston-based Situs grew from a local brokerage company into one of the world's leading commercial real estate consultancies. Situs provided due diligence, primary and special servicing, asset management, and brokerage to investment banks, insurance companies, opportunity funds, pension funds, FDIC, and other acquirers of commercial real estate. Martin served as Chairman of the Board and Ralph served as CEO. In 2011, Situs was sold to Helios AMC, a rated special servicer sponsored by Ranieri Partners.
In the years immediately prior to the sale, the company reached the following milestones::
- Employed over 400 professionals across nine offices throughout the United States and Europe
- Was involved with one trillion+ dollars of commercial real estate-related transactions since its founding
- Evaluated over 30,000 assets in excess of $150 billion in the United States and Europe
- Analyzed over 45 bank portfolios with assets in excess of $75 billion
- Advised on €60 billion of European commercial real estate debt
- Rated Primary and Special Servicer by Fitch and S&P that serviced a portfolio of over $12 billion of commercial real estate loans
- Brokered over $100 million of REO and bankrupt assets in Houston
- Created an "onshore" back-office fulfillment center for the commercial mortgage industry that employed 55 professionals
The insights gained from analyzing thousands of properties for Situs' clients and the experience derived from operating an international commercial real estate consulting firm have shaped Martin and Ralph's investment philosophy and resulted in a consistently strong investment performance. Over the years, they have successfully acquired, managed, leased, developed, and repositioned numerous properties through several economic cycles.
The duo launched BHW in 2012 with a plan to target land, retail, office, and industrial properties for acquisition, recapitalization, liquidity events, financing, and development. BHW executes this plan through hands-on leasing and sales, effective re-positioning, and active management.